AT&T Novatel MiFi 2372 no driver installer on device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Novatel MiFi 2372 no driver installer on device

I've seen a couple of post here where others seem to be having this issue as well but I have not seen a definitive answer regarding the subject.

From what I gather the mifi when connected via usb, should at least be accessible as a readonly flash drive with driver software loaded on it, however this is not the case.

No new drive is mapped on windows (tried XP, Vista 32 & 64 and 7 32&64) and no autorun driver setup process is invoked. I think this may be an AT&T Mifi 2372 issue.

I have manually installed MobiLink3_v3.00.02.003 and MobiLink3_v3.00.04.003 and both of these seem to be missing the Novatel HSUSB driver which is how windows seems to recognizes this device.

I tried flashing the device with an updated novatel dashboard Mobilink3_Dashboard which purportedly contains an updated MobiLink3 .14 version, however the dashboard application does not recognize the device because no drivers are installed on windows to be able to interact with it.

I can login and administer the device via wireless and it is working as expected, however I am unable to unlock it from AT&T without usb drivers.

Anyone have any other suggestions as to how to get the correct drivers for this device installed?

Thanks,
    Fred Merlo

(Update Part-1) AT&T Novatel MiFi 2372 no driver installer on device

So after spending the last 2 days scouring teh interwebz I finally found them, and from the source (Novatel) no less.

Novatel and AT&T are in collusion to make sure that at least for MiFis ppl use the wireless interface, as the usb drivers are not easily available to the average consumer. And I'm almost certain that as soon as I post the location of the drivers they will magically be 404'd.

In any event after all this trouble getting the MiFi usb port working on my Windows 7 64bit pc, DC-Unlocker STILL is reporting "modem not found !".

I'm using version 1.00.0597, tried version 1.00.0575 and even went as far back as version 1.00.0467 "unknown reponce".

It feels like there has been a change in MiFi firmware that has broken DC-Unlocker ability to communicate with the modem.

Although some skeptics may say the drivers are still to be questioned here, I know for a fact they are the correct ones as I can FULLY interact with the MiFi via the Web GUI as well as with Mobilink3.

Attached are images of how my drivers ended up looking in device manager.

Finally the driver installed the proper device.

Comment

(Update Part-2) AT&T Novatel MiFi 2372 no driver installer on device

And now interacting with my device via USB

Auto detect does identify the correct ports, compare to the device manager image at the top.

However after ALL this ... really...

So thats my experience thus far, hopefully a DC-Unlocker admin will stumble upon this post and provide a solution, but as of right now DC-Unlocker is not working for the following AT&T MiFi:

AP FW : 11.47.17
      Router FW: 2.7.0202
      Modem FW: 7.11.02.01-10
      Kernel: 2.6.25.07

Thanks,
      Fred Merlo

Almost forgot:

Comment

Oh My!!! Thank goodness I found this

Glad I came across this because I just purchased the unlock and I've been pulling my hair out with the install instructions.

THere needs to be some corrections with the install procedure.

The Driver installation instructions does NOT match up with the XP pro Wizard when trying to install.

But no matter how I try (ignoring their instructions) I still cannot install the driver.

In searching I found this post and now see, even if you get the drivers, there is still a problem.

I hope this is resolved soon as I am working on a project and desperately need this resolved.

I have reported the install instruction errors to tech support with screen prints of the errors.

Comment

Success unlocking AT&T MiFi 2372

I signed up with AT&T 2 weeks ago. Living in the States and working in Canada, I need an unlocked device.

I was successful in unlocking my AT&T MiFi 2372. I did the following:

1- I searched the Novatel Wireless website with "att mifi 2372" and I found the latest USB drivers. (The latest firmware is also there).

2- DC-Unlocker did not detect the device: "modem not found !"

3- I searched the Novatel Wireless website with "Bell mifi" and found the latest *locked* firmware, version 5.26.2. I also found Mobilink 3.00.14 for the Bell 2372. I loaded that firmware on my AT&T 2372.

4- The first 3 steps out of 5 of the firmware upgrade were successful. Steps 4 and 5 failed. These last 2 steps have to do with with loading the XML files for the web management utility.

5- At this point, DC-Unlocker reports finding the modem, and reports a *locked* status. Using dc-unlocker, it unlocked the 2372 like a charm.

6- I then connected with wifi. The XML web management pages not being in the firmware, I only got *Hello world!* on the landing page.

7- I then searched with Google for a "generic 5.26.2 MiFi 2372 firmware". I did not find any, but a few links to people who sell unlocked 2372 and applications, and I asked then for a copy of the firmware. I got 1 positive response.

8- I uploaded the generic firmware. The device remained unlocked and works flawlessly. I tried my Telus SIM card in it, and it reports it is not activated, wich is correct. It connects OK with my AT&T SIM card. No GPS access, even though the GPS Com Port is present (I have not done extensive testing of GPS). The working Mobilink software for that firmware is included. It also gives access to the Wifi management via USB. Mobilink 3.00.14 does not. I found out that in order to have access to the Mobilink stuff on the USB storage device, I had to turn off File sharing on sdcard, in the System tab on the web management page. Default WEP key is 12345 and Login password to administration pages on the web is: admin.

That should be complete. Whether loading the Bell firmware before loading the generic firmware is really needed, I don't know. I did it before finding the generic firmware. Perhaps the generic firmware loads directly in an unlocked state, I don't know.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Success unlocking AT&T MiFi 2372

Forgot to mention I used dc-unlocker version 1.00.0467.

Comment

The Novatel Software is located at:

Of course the MiFi directory has the Generic Firmware.
              The default Wifi Password is 12345
              The default login pasword is admin

My unlocked ATT branded 2372 is now downgraded to 5.26.2 and it works fine.
              Couldn't have done it without this thread.

Cheers

Comment

Just flashed the Generic 5.26.2 firmware on an Unlocked AT&T Mifi and is working as I really wanted it.

When connected to USB, it behaves as a Modem and the moment it is disconnected it resets the device and enables the WiFi!

Comment

It looks like Novatel pulled their file hosting. Too bad.
                  Try:

Cheers

Comment

Link doesn't work. Anyone have a new link to the files?

Comment

Originally posted by harrisjr View Post
                      Link doesn't work. Anyone have a new link to the files?
                      Are you looking for Generic 5.26.2? I have it somewhere... but read my answer to your PM to me first.

Comment

Novatel pulled Firmware link.

The file is called:

20418764_MUU_MiFi23x2_FW5.26.2_ML3.00.57_NvtlGener ic_v1.2_pkg.zip

or:

MiFi23x2_FW5.26.2_ML3.00.57_NvtlGeneric_v1.2_pkg.e xe

There are a few downloaders hosting it. If you google for this filename you will find it.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by deaks View Post
                          The file is called:

20418764_MUU_MiFi23x2_FW5.26.2_ML3.00.57_NvtlGener ic_v1.2_pkg.zip

or:

MiFi23x2_FW5.26.2_ML3.00.57_NvtlGeneric_v1.2_pkg.e xe

There are a few downloaders hosting it. If you google for this filename you will find it.

Good luck.
                          Yes, I've upgraded to this firmware. All seemed to go well except my unit doesn't seem to be broadcasting a wifi SSID anymore.

Comment

No Wifi

There is a difference between the ATT and Novatel Firmware.

The ATT box transmits wifi all the time.
                            The Novatel firmware only transmits wifi when it is not plugged in to USB.

So set it up and unplug it from your computer and look for the blue light on the left side. That shows wifi is on.
                            Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by deaks View Post
                              There is a difference between the ATT and Novatel Firmware.

The ATT box transmits wifi all the time.
                              The Novatel firmware only transmits wifi when it is not plugged in to USB.

So set it up and unplug it from your computer and look for the blue light on the left side. That shows wifi is on.
                              Cheers.
                              Thanks Deaks. I am aware of this. The blue wifi light is on when unplugged but the unit doesn't seem to be broadcasting the SSID. I've tried to find one on 3 different devices and there is nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X