Huawei Mate 9 black screen after flush the wrong firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huawei Mate 9 black screen after flush the wrong firmware

New to the forum, and need your help and education! Thanks so much in advance!
    I try to upgrade mate 9 firmware from EMUI 8.0 to EMUI 9.0 using DC-phoenix, unfortunately I used Mate 10 pro's firmware APP file.
    Now my mate 9 will only show black screen... Is there any way to restore original firmware? Thanks so much!

The screen is dead black no matter what. I tried fastboot mode (hold volume down), same black screen. The only signal of live is when I hold power button while connecting with USB-C, I can hear USB device connection notification sound from PC.
    Also tried to hardware short the testpoint with ground while connecting to USB-C, same black screen and DC-phoenix could not find any phone.

DC-phoenix could not find any phone @ com1. "No Devices detected"
    dc.jpg

Comment

COM1 in screenshot does not belong to your phone so there is nothing to find to begin with. If your phone does not appear in device manger at all when you connect it in any mode - then it's board dead. Testpoint mode is black screen, but it also has port visible under "ports" section in device manager, in your case I understand it does not appear at all.
      >>Free Octohide VPN for Android, find it on Google Play Here<<

Comment

Hi Valdemaras,

Thanks so much for helping out.

Is there anything I can do to save this board dead bricked phone? Anyway to enter testpoint, fastboot mode or any other mode that DC-phoenix can detect?
        Thanks so much again!

best regards!
        Q
        Last edited by qu9542; 2021-05-14, 01:43 PM.

Comment

If you short circuit testpoint on board and connect phone to pc, it must appear somewhere in device manager, normally under ports section as "Huawei USB COM 1.0" port if installed testpoint drivers from DC-phoenix tutorials, otherwise it may appear as not installed and have some "!" or "?" marks visible - this is visible only in device manager on pc not on dc-phoenix. And if it does not appear anywhere then only replacing main board on phone can help you.

Comment

I found the testpoint based on dc-phenix->Testpoint files->Manhattan_MHA_Mate9.
            As the following picture shows, I connect two connection points in red box with Tweezers, also tried test point with phone's metal shield (while connecting USB-C to PC). The windows device manager doesn't pick up any changes.
            Am I shorting the testpoint correctly? Thanks so much

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpgdc4.jpg
            Attached Files
            Last edited by qu9542; 2021-05-14, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I tried update COM1 driver, and point to DC-Phoenix_v158/install/Driver/x64 folder. Now Device manager can see "HUAWEI USB COM 1.0(COM3)"dc5.jpg

I then tried Update Firmware again. Which processor should I use? I know mate9 use Kirin960, but not sure the version of it.
              I will try the latest "Kirin960_T2_A7.0_V4.0", and see what happens.
              dc4.jpg

Comment

It looks like new firmware is loading, found some error in the log.
                But at least the screen is working... that is a good news.
                Also Huawei HiSuite can recognize the recovery mode now.
                I will wait the Dc-phoenix to finish update firmware.

dc6.jpg
                dc6.jpg

dc7.jpg
                Last edited by qu9542; 2021-05-14, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Firmware update finished, but ... "Cannot update device in upgrade mode".
                  Not sure what should I do next.
                  My goal is to upgrade mate 9 to EMUI 9. Is this possible?

I know firmware 9.1.0.275 / C185E7R1P8T8 is available for Europe region, and wondering if I can get a copy of that firmware. Thanks so much!

DC8.jpg

Comment

Will have to put it in upgrade mode manually and then attempt flashing, it will work only if firmware matches data in phone. Do not know about upgrading to android 9, it should be done normally from phone or from sd card and not by forcing as it rarely comes out with positive results. And when DC-phoenix is running make sure hisuite is completely closed and not running minimized in background on computer.

Comment

Thanks so much.
                      I will be realistic, just restore back to Android 8 will be perfect for me.
                      I will make sure HiSuite is not running when I use DCPhoenix next time.

I found the firmware from DCPhoenix searching "MHA-L29". Is this the correct firmware I should use? Thanks a lot!

DC8.jpg

DC9.jpg

Comment

"Will have to put it in upgrade mode manually and then attempt flashing, it will work only if firmware matches data in phone"
                        >How can I do upgrade mode manually? Thanks so much

dc8.jpg

Comment

Tried again. Use "Advanced" mode, and checked "rescue Recovery", "Bypass version check", and "Old slow algo" (for Kirin 960).
                          This time I use "Kirin960_T0_A8.0_V5".
                          I didn't start Huawei HiSuite, but Huawei HiSuite automatically started somehow... so I close it again.

But firmware update process hangs due to error. See Error message @ phone screen.
                          It looks like I must use the wrong combination somehow...

DC9.jpg

Dc9.jpg

Comment

More info about the phone
                            DC10.jpg

Comment

It looks like the following bootloader will get phone into fastboot mode:
                              Kirin960_T0_A8.0_V5
                              Kirin960_T2_A7.0_V4

The problem is that I don't know which Firmware to use.

I tried the following APP firmware files, both got many "FAIL image verification error"
                              And eventually got "Cannot update device in upgrade mode. You must connect device in upgrade mode and upgrade it".

DC11.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X