Dell Wireless 5510 firmware upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Wireless 5510 firmware upgrade?

Does anyone know if the Dell Wireless 5510 (Similar to Novatel XU870) can be upgraded to support 7.2Mbps via firmware? If so how?

Originally posted by nok.8850 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Dell Wireless 5510 (Similar to Novatel XU870) can be upgraded to support 7.2Mbps via firmware? If so how?
    Yes, DELL 5510 is a customized version of NOVATEL XU870 (it's 100% same).
    Before you upgrade to 7.2Mbps, you need to decustomized Dell 5510, so at the end you have a real XU870.
    There was once a nice tutorial on http://engel.allfirmwares.com/ but now page seem that not exist more...

Comment

I have been trying to access http://engel.allfirmwares.com since last week with no luck - If anyone has a copy of the tutorial, please post or send me a message.

Other forums very briefly state update with firmware 800_9.5.03_S1 and WriteProfileTool_V1.0.0.2 first before firmware 800_FW101.9.00_PkgA / PkgB - Tried this out but after firmware checks the Dell Wirless 5510 for upgrade compatibility it stops with eror message: Device not compatible for Upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by nok.8850 View Post
        I have been trying to access http://engel.allfirmwares.com since last week with no luck - If anyone has a copy of the tutorial, please post or send me a message.

Other forums very briefly state update with firmware 800_9.5.03_S1 and WriteProfileTool_V1.0.0.2 first before firmware 800_FW101.9.00_PkgA / PkgB - Tried this out but after firmware checks the Dell Wirless 5510 for upgrade compatibility it stops with eror message: Device not compatible for Upgrade!
        Many months ago, I used this procedure (of engel.allfirmwares.com) and it was perfect for debranding Dell 5510.
        I don't remember exactly how it must do...but not with writeprofiletool.
        All that I can do is to share my folder where I save all file for debrand 5510.

Comment

...and found this post...
          Hi!
          Im new to this forum here but hoping someone can help me.
          I have tried downlading the firmware from:

But I get an error message that I cannot update

Checking Upgrade Compatibility:

DEVICE NOT COMPATIBLE YES/NO:

Modem XU-870 - YES
          Firmware: 9.2.00.0 - NO
          IMEI: - YES

Can you help me? My card is a novatel card NOT Dell, I think it has something to do with my cards firmware thats already on my card??

Thanks!
          TD

Posted 21.27 07 mag 09 by Toilet-Duck
          dgp1000
          12.45 10 mag 09
          1 PostsHi - I had exactly the same with a T-Mobile branded XU870 from Ebay. I tried to update to 7.2Mbps with NVTL_PUU_800_FW101.9.00_PkgB.exe but it would not work, I guess the old firmware is too old. So I then tried NVTL__FUU_800_9.5.03_S1.exe which is also on Engel's site (it's used to update and debrand the Dell). This worked fine. I was then able to run NVTL_PUU_800_FW101.9.00_PkgB.exe and I now have an XU870 capable of 7.2Mbps.

Once you've done this the modem is recognised as a different device and the drivers are reinstalled, so you end up with two Novatel Modems in device manager. To cure this you need to uninstall, restart and reinstall Mobilink. I also found I no longer needed to edit the 'Extra Utilization Command String' in Modem Properties which I had needed to do with the 9.2.00.0 Firmware, it is now blank and all connections are managed by Mobilink.

Hope this helps

file mentioned you can find into my share-link previous post

Comment

Fakiro:

Many thanks for your kind posts & "share" link - I have found this post (http://www.expansys.it/ft.aspx?k=119599) before and digested all of it, but it does not quite give a total insight into exactly what is required to debrand the Dell Wireless 5510.

I have downloaded your "Share" folder and confirm that I already have the two firmware images (800_9.5.03_S1 and 800_FW101.9.00_PkgA) - but there are two other files that I do not know what to do with (U800.nvtb & XU870.cache).

I shall keep try periodically the http://engel.allfirmwares.com/ to see if I can access and hence solve debranding the Dell Wireless 5510.

Comment

Debrand DELL 5510 into Novatel XU870

Just now have into my hands one Dell Wireless 5510.
              Before upgrade was:

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0416

Detecting card :

selection :
              manufacturer - Novatel
              model - Auto detect

Found modem : DELL XU870 ExpressCard
              Model : DELL XU870 ExpressCard
              IMEI :
              Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00
              SIM Lock status : unlocked

Than upgraded with this version:

Results is:
              DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.0416

Detecting card :

selection :
              manufacturer - Novatel
              model - Auto detect

Found modem : Merlin XU870 ExpressCard
              Model : Merlin XU870
              IMEI :
              Firmware : 101.9.00.0-00
              SIM Lock status : unlocked

Comment

Fakiro:

Once again a big THANK YOU for supporting this post - I downloaded the firmware from your link and debranded the DELL to a Novatel XU870 -

Comment

I downloaded the file and then ran it, it started to do the upgrade then part way up poped up a message saying

Please Remove Modem (INCLUDING ADAPTOR)

(didnt use an apadtor) it was pluged in direct to the express card socket on the laptop

now the card has a solid white light on it!

anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gossages View Post

I downloaded the file and then ran it, it started to do the upgrade then part way up poped up a message saying

Please Remove Modem (INCLUDING ADAPTOR)

(didnt use an apadtor) it was pluged in direct to the express card socket on the laptop

now the card has a solid white light on it!

anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
                    This message appears at the end of upgrade process.
                    After a second there is config restore of datacard process.
                    I noticed that no need to remove datacard and adaptor, all is in a row.
                    Now the datacard is recognized by PC or not?
                    Can you re-flash it with the same firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by Fakiro View Post
                      This message appears at the end of upgrade process.
                      After a second there is config restore of datacard process.
                      I noticed that no need to remove datacard and adaptor, all is in a row.
                      Now the datacard is recognized by PC or not?
                      Can you re-flash it with the same firmware?

i left the card in for a while (to be honest i wans't pay attention to it) and went to make a cup of tea lol.

then it was sat there with that message and nothing else it must of been on it fro 2 mins, then i removed it as told, and when its plugin

now the data card is not reconised on 3 computers and also with a usb to express card adaptor either

no the re-flashing doesn't work as it says cant find a modem!

just a solid white light - the FW upgrade bricked it! arghhhhh

Comment

i left the card in for a while (to be honest i wans't pay attention to it) and went to make a cup of tea lol.

then it was sat there with that message and nothing else it must of been on it fro 2 mins, then i removed it as told, and when its plugin

now the data card is not reconised on 3 computers and also with a usb to express card adaptor either

no the re-flashing doesn't work as it says cant find a modem!

just a solid white light - the FW upgrade bricked it! arghhhhh
                        Check in device pheripherals if there is almost one COM port of novatel created when you plug datacard into pc

Comment

Originally posted by Fakiro View Post
                          Check in device pheripherals if there is almost one COM port of novatel created when you plug datacard into pc
                          No its not showing up in device manager no Com port's nothing!

Comment

Just spoke to Novatel in the US and the UK re the FW update

OK Ive just spoken to the top 2 Tech's in the US and the UK re these modems!

the problem is the following

YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE ANY VERSION WITH Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00 AND BELOW

to The latest 2.7 Mbps Firmware : 101.9.00.0-00

If you do then you will KILL the modem and get the dreaded WHITE LIGHT

Once you have got the White Light then the Modem is DEAD and CAN NOT be recovered and is only fit for the TRASH!!!!!

Now the good part.

If you want to upgrade Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00 AND BELOW

You can but you have to upgrade it to Firmware : 9.5 First

then you can use the other updater to take it to Firmware : 101.9.00.0-00

I am awaiting The 9.5 update program to be sent to me by Novatel (which i have had to purcahse form them as what they call a software update)

once i have it ill let you all know!

Hope this helps some of you in not killing your modems and other who know know if you have a SOLID White Light Then your modem is TRASH!

Neil

Comment

OK Ive just spoken to the top 2 Tech's in the US and the UK re these modems!

the problem is the following

YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE ANY VERSION WITH Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00 AND BELOW

to The latest 2.7 Mbps Firmware : 101.9.00.0-00

If you do then you will KILL the modem and get the dreaded WHITE LIGHT

Once you have got the White Light then the Modem is DEAD and CAN NOT be recovered and is only fit for the TRASH!!!!!

Now the good part.

If you want to upgrade Firmware : 9.2.00.0-00 AND BELOW

You can but you have to upgrade it to Firmware : 9.5 First

then you can use the other updater to take it to Firmware : 101.9.00.0-00

I am awaiting The 9.5 update program to be sent to me by Novatel (which i have had to purcahse form them as what they call a software update)

once i have it ill let you all know!

Hope this helps some of you in not killing your modems and other who know know if you have a SOLID White Light Then your modem is TRASH!

Neil

http://rapidshare.com/files/35438775...1.9.00_Pkg.rar
                              Hi Neil
                              this is the firmware you need, but if the datacard is not recognized...

Remember that Novatel firmware:
                              FUU is generic
                              PUU is not generic
                              MUU is for mini-PCI express

Comment

Working...
                              X