AT&T Mifi 2372 unlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Mifi 2372 unlock

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Please bear with me. I read through a couple of other threads, but they didn't really address the question I've got. At least as far as I can tell.

I just got a secondhand AT&T-branded Mifi 2372 a couple of days ago. I'm trying to get it to work with a normal sim card from an AT&T phone account. When I try to use wap.cingular for the apn, the software tells me that the apn is not allowed.

I know that AT&T has sims that only work with 4G apns, sims for data cards, and sims for the rest of their phones. I got the sim from a regular phone, and I know it uses wap.cingular in three different phones I've owned over the past few years I've had it (grandfathered in to a true no-limit data plan ;-).

What can I do to remedy this and use it with wap.cingular? Do I still need to unlock it, or is there a simpler fix? Will using the stock, unbranded firmware remove this block? If so, where can I find it?

I'm fairly tech-savvy, but I've never had to unlock a data card before. Thanks for any help and advice!

If sim from same provider in same provider modem is not working, then unlock with dc-unlocker will not help you.
    Unlock allows to use any provider sim with modem. But in your case there should be limitation from provider and dc-unlocker can not help here.

Comment

Garcia,
      in profiles, for apn, try using "broadband" without authentication. That's the way mine is set up.

Comment

Originally posted by flymooney View Post
        Garcia,
        in profiles, for apn, try using "broadband" without authentication. That's the way mine is set up.
        Do you have a "data plan" sim installed or a sim pulled from a phone? Also, is yours over 6-8 months old? I believe they started blocking phone sims in the latest firmware from AT&T.

In any case, broadband does not work. That's the apn it came set up with. It wasn't working, and my research concluded it was because AT&T began blocking the apn if used with a phone sim. I've not been able to find out if changing the firmware and/or unlocking the device will allow me to enter the wap.cingular apn.

I'm trying to leave the mifi with someone who has no other possible internet access, but I'm leaving the country in this time tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-D

Comment

My ATT phone sim card does not work in the Mifi. I bought a 3 Gigs Data Plan with the Mifi last month. The sim cards are not interchangeable. Hope this help.

Originally posted by jgarcia1f View Post
          Do you have a "data plan" sim installed or a sim pulled from a phone? Also, is yours over 6-8 months old? I believe they started blocking phone sims in the latest firmware from AT&T.

In any case, broadband does not work. That's the apn it came set up with. It wasn't working, and my research concluded it was because AT&T began blocking the apn if used with a phone sim. I've not been able to find out if changing the firmware and/or unlocking the device will allow me to enter the wap.cingular apn.

I'm trying to leave the mifi with someone who has no other possible internet access, but I'm leaving the country in this time tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-D

Comment

Thank you, flymooney. After flashing with the generic firmware, I was able to add the wap.cingular apn to the list of profiles. The phone sim connected perfectly once I changed to that apn. No need to unlock the device, just flash to the generic firmware.

Comment

Very good! It's good to know that when you flash the generic fw directly over the ATT fw, there is no need to unlock. Also good to know you can use a wap.cellular voice/data plan with the Mifi.

Originally posted by jgarcia1f View Post
              Thank you, flymooney. After flashing with the generic firmware, I was able to add the wap.cingular apn to the list of profiles. The phone sim connected perfectly once I changed to that apn. No need to unlock the device, just flash to the generic firmware.

Comment

Hello, all I am in the same boat. need to use wap.cingular
                please share the generic file to flash.

I PM flymooney as well

thanks

Comment

Please note that dc-unlocker now support unlocking the ATT firmware, which has a lot more features than the generic.

2011-06-06
                  DC-unlocker client software V1.00.0659
                  Added:Phones:Huawei U8220,U8230,Modems:Huawei:E398,E367,E372,E1732,
                  Embedded modules:Huawei:EM775,EM820U,Routers:Vodafone R201,Novatel MiFi 2372 USA AT&T version 7.11.02.01-10,Customised modems:Huawei E153 11.609.18.00.297 Dialog Sri Lanka,Huawei E173 11.126.15.00.634 MTS Uzbekistan,Huawei E173 11.126.15.00.592 Metfone Cambodia,ZTE MF100 BD_BLNUAP671A1V1.0.0B03 Beeline,ZTE MF180 BD_BLNMF180V1.0.0B04 Beeline.

flymooney

Comment

I just changed my firmware from ATT 7.11 to generic 5.26.2. After installing drivers everything has been working like a charm, getting 3 Mbps. However I have been hooked up by USB cable using mobilink, and AT&T sent me a text message saying I need an appropriate plan for mifi devices, and I may get cut off soon.

My mifi is still locked. Is there something I can do so they can't see I'm using a mifi device, or get around this? The SIM inside is a voice/data sim, with the data plan being about 1.5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by transgenesis View Post
                      I just changed my firmware from ATT 7.11 to generic 5.26.2. After installing drivers everything has been working like a charm, getting 3 Mbps. However I have been hooked up by USB cable using mobilink, and AT&T sent me a text message saying I need an appropriate plan for mifi devices, and I may get cut off soon.

My mifi is still locked. Is there something I can do so they can't see I'm using a mifi device, or get around this? The SIM inside is a voice/data sim, with the data plan being about 1.5 years old.
                      1- There should be no need to use USB and Mobilink. The wifi should be working and the MiFi page should come up at 192.168.1.1 (not att.mifi).
                      2- Maybe the data you downloaded with the mifi exceeded what is normally expected with a voice/data sim card, and this is why you got the message from ATT? I have a 3G plan @ $35/month.
                      3- Someone reported there is no need to unlock when using the generic f/w. This was not my experience, although my device was already unlocked before flashing the f/w.

Comment

Originally posted by flymooney View Post
                        3- Someone reported there is no need to unlock when using the generic f/w. This was not my experience, although my device was already unlocked before flashing the f/w.
                        It's jgarcia1f earlier in this thread.

Comment

Generic 2372 firmware

Could someone let me know where can I get it please. Thanks

Comment

Hey everyone, I'd just like to say that I followed the others in this thread and did this same setup (flashing the Novatel generic 5.26.2 firmware over the AT&T MiFi 2372 firmware I got) and while it does indeed work, and work nicely, putting a voice/data SIM card in the device (using the wap.cingular APN and PAP authentication) brought me a warning text message less than 24 hours later warning me: "An eligible data plan is required for Laptop, Tablet or MiFi devices. Call 611 as soon as possible for details and to avoid service interruption"

No idea if this is a bluff, or if they actually have some way of finding that the data is being sent over a MiFi device instead of through a cell phone, but I just wanted to let you all know that yes, it does work, but yes, they are aware of the workaround's existence and are quick on letting you know of that fact.

Also, to linkgnk, you can request the firmware from Multiplex Systems on their Facebook or Twitter, or by filling out a contact form on their website. There is no simple download link anywhere online that I've found, but you ask them for the firmware and they'll put it on Mediafire for you to grab (68MB download).

Hope that helped someone!

Comment

ATT also notified me within a day twice now for using a voice/data sim. I just flashed the firmware to generic, I didn't unlock it with DC unlocker. Does unlocking with dc unlocker it prevent them from finding out you've put a voice/data sim inside?

Comment

Working...
                              X