SIM Unlock for HP Envy 14-k110nr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIM Unlock for HP Envy 14-k110nr?

I have a question about the HP Envy 14-k110nr which is sold outright at the Microsoft Store. It reportedly includes a SIM slot for T-Mobile and 200 MB free per month if you use the included SIM. However I'd be looking at taking it to Canada and using it here with compatible carriers.

According to all the reports I can find online, HP & Microsoft direct customers to T-Mobile for an unlock, and T-Mobile says they can't because they didn't sell it, and direct customers back to Microsoft & HP. The end result is that nobody seems to be able to unlock the SIM slot.

I was curious, is there any chance DC-Unlocker would be capable? The broadband module model number is HP hs3114. It might be a rebranded version of a module by another vendor but I can't find the info.

If this model could be unlocked by DC-U I would strongly consider buying it and using DC-U to unlock it.

Addendum:
    For some reason I got banned the last time I tried to post this, and I just cleared things up and finally got unbanned. So, hello moderator, if you have any concerns with my postings please PM or e-mail me first. I have removed the link I originally included in case that helps. Thanks! :-)

Update: I bought it. I have it in front of me. The sticker on the bottom says "Contains Huawei Model MU736" if that helps. Will crosspost in the Huawei forum.

Comment

Originally posted by cmstlist View Post
      Update: I bought it. I have it in front of me. The sticker on the bottom says "Contains Huawei Model MU736" if that helps. Will crosspost in the Huawei forum.
      Try to detect it, as without detection we won't be able to check further for its unlock possibility.
      >>Free Octohide VPN for Android, find it on Google Play Here<<

Comment

Originally posted by Valdemaras View Post
        Try to detect it, as without detection we won't be able to check further for its unlock possibility.
        Thank you for your response. Unfortunately DC-Unlocker does not see anything. Same result running it as an administrator.

For what it's worth, when I select the modem in Device Manager and view by connection, it's located at:
        PCI Express Root Complex > Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft) > USB Root Hub (xHCI) > USB Mobile Broadband Network Adapter Module > HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Device.

Comment

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately DC-Unlocker does not see anything. Same result running it as an administrator.

For what it's worth, when I select the modem in Device Manager and view by connection, it's located at:
          PCI Express Root Complex > Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft) > USB Root Hub (xHCI) > USB Mobile Broadband Network Adapter Module > HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Device.
          It might be not detectable because this module is not actually supported by DC-Unlocker yet. Is module visible in device manager under modems or ports or network adapter lines?

Comment

It might be not detectable because this module is not actually supported by DC-Unlocker yet. Is module visible in device manager under modems or ports or network adapter lines?
            It appears under Network adapters under the HP name I specified. If you look up the FCC ID of B94HNHWWR you will see some documentation showing that it is a rebadged Huawei MU736 module with a new ID assigned for HP.

If there is anything I could do to help you out here, I'd be happy to test anything you need me to. I don't know if DC-U ever typically works with internal broadband modules but I figured if there is any way in the world to unlock this it would involve you guys!

Comment

It appears under Network adapters under the HP name I specified. If you look up the FCC ID of B94HNHWWR you will see some documentation showing that it is a rebadged Huawei MU736 module with a new ID assigned for HP.

If there is anything I could do to help you out here, I'd be happy to test anything you need me to. I don't know if DC-U ever typically works with internal broadband modules but I figured if there is any way in the world to unlock this it would involve you guys!
              For it to be detected it should be visible under ports and modems lines. Maybe this module has any software related to it or updater?

Comment

For it to be detected it should be visible under ports and modems lines. Maybe this module has any software related to it or updater?
                This is Windows 8.1 by the way. There is no ports or modems line in Device Manager. It is only visible via Network adapters. There is a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HP HSPA+ Mobile Broadband. The connectivity goes through Windows' built-in broadband connection support. The folder does contain drivers and a service called CommService. That's the only installed software I can find.

Comment

This is Windows 8.1 by the way. There is no ports or modems line in Device Manager. It is only visible via Network adapters. There is a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HP HSPA+ Mobile Broadband. The connectivity goes through Windows' built-in broadband connection support. The folder does contain drivers and a service called CommService. That's the only installed software I can find.
                  Modems and ports lines existence does not relate to what OS your computer has. Try to disable device from network adapters see if anything changes, pc restart might be needed. Maybe it will bring up device differently on pc as there is no possibility to detect it while it is under network adapters.

Comment

Modems and ports lines existence does not relate to what OS your computer has. Try to disable device from network adapters see if anything changes, pc restart might be needed. Maybe it will bring up device differently on pc as there is no possibility to detect it while it is under network adapters.
                    OK good to know. I am going on a trip soon and then moving across the country, and I don't have time to futz around with it, but I can try some things later. This is more a "would be nice to have" feature and not essential to my enjoyment of the laptop.

Comment

I had some progress. I found an older driver for Huawei MU736 distributed by Lenovo. I uninstalled the driver for the "USB Mobile Broadband Network Adapter Module" and pointed it to the Huawei drivers. After a reboot some unknown devices appeared, and when I pointed them all to the Huawei drivers, I gained a modem!

So now under USB Composite Device by connection:
                      - HP GNSS Sensor
                      - HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband USB Enumerator Device
                      --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Modem
                      --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module PC UI (COM4)
                      --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Network Device
                      --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Network Device -Control
                      - HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband
                      --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module NMEA (COM5)
                      - Microsoft Usbciid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)

DC-Unlocker still does not recognize anything. But does this give you something to go on?

Incidentally it now doesn't actually seem to recognize a SIM is inserted while using these drivers. Whether I insert a T-Mobile or Mobilicity SIM, Windows still says "Insert a SIM".
                      Last edited by cmstlist; 2014-04-17, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I had some progress. I found an older driver for Huawei MU736 distributed by Lenovo. I uninstalled the driver for the "USB Mobile Broadband Network Adapter Module" and pointed it to the Huawei drivers. After a reboot some unknown devices appeared, and when I pointed them all to the Huawei drivers, I gained a modem!

So now under USB Composite Device by connection:
                        - HP GNSS Sensor
                        --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Modem
                        --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module PC UI (COM4)
                        --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Network Device
                        --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Network Device -Control
                        - HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband
                        --- HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module NMEA (COM5)
                        - Microsoft Usbciid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)

DC-Unlocker still does not recognize anything. But does this give you something to go on?

Incidentally it now doesn't actually seem to recognize a SIM is inserted while using these drivers. Whether I insert a T-Mobile or Mobilicity SIM, Windows still says "Insert a SIM".
                        If device did not appear under Modems line or Ports line it won't be detected. Unfortunately but seems these drivers are not compatible/suitable for your module and pc it is built in.

Comment

If device did not appear under Modems line or Ports line it won't be detected. Unfortunately but seems these drivers are not compatible/suitable for your module and pc it is built in.
                          Viewed by type, "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Modem" is now under Modems.
                          "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module PC UI (COM4)" and "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module NMEA (COM5)" are under Ports.
                          They all say "This device is working properly." under Properties.

Comment

Viewed by type, "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module Modem" is now under Modems.
                            "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module PC UI (COM4)" and "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module NMEA (COM5)" are under Ports.
                            They all say "This device is working properly." under Properties.
                            Try to do the following then - right click on that line which appears under Modems, select properties, then open modems tab there and see what com port it shows, it will be your Application com port. This one - "HP hs3114 HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module PC UI (COM4)" is your Diagnostics port. Open DC-Unlocker, select Huawei modems, select Unknow Huawei modem, then you should be able to enter those com ports manually into respective fields on DC-Unlocker, attempt to detect it then, let us know the results.

Comment

Oh wow. OK, yes that is doing the trick. DC detects it now. The output seems to indicate the SIM Lock status is unlocked, which is strange because out of the box Windows reported a SIM lock if I inserted anything other than T-Mobile. But with the current driver it's not recognizing inserted SIMs at all. Maybe that is why it's reporting unlocked?

Here is the output:

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1105

Detecting modem :

selection :
                              manufacturer - Huawei modems
                              model - _Unknown Huawei modem_

Selected Applications port COM3
                              Selected Diagnostics portCOM4

Found modem : MU736
                              Model : _Unknown Huawei modem_
                              IMEI : 355758(redacted)2
                              Serial NR. : C7TBYB9392401296
                              Firmware : 11.103.17.02.00
                              Compile date / time : x
                              Hardware ver. : MD1MU736M
                              Chipset : Qualcomm
                              Voice feature : not supported in current firmware
                              SIM Lock status : unlocked
                              Wrong codes entered : 0 (unlock attempts left : 10)

================================================== =================

Comment

Working...
                              X