No announcement yet.

AT&T Novatel 2372 - Accidental flash with Bell Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't understand at first, now even I have upgraded the Bell firmware after installing the Generic firmware and my speeds are much better as well as the random freeze issue has been solved.

Comment

What I meant by "mutant firmware" was that I have a combination of two firmware releases now on my device. The Bell MUU appears to contain only a partial upgrade and not a full firmware - it has no files for the web UI and doesn't fix the failure to recognize Bell as a non roaming network - but it does upgrade the radio to a vastly improved version compared to the generic firmware.

Still wondering if anyone out there has a firmware file that restores the device to a complete Bell firmware including UI and everything.

Comment

I restored mine back to Bell from Generic

I used a file that has both firmware and ML, I forgot where I downloaded it but it was found on one of the forums. Search for:

20418759_MUU_MiFi2372_Bell_FW5.26.2_ML3.00.57_Lock ed_Pkg.zip

It will update everything back to Bell default, and then you can optionally update it back to 5.28 if you want.

It did restore almost everything for me, except that even w/ a factory reset, it stored my own WiFi setting instead of true Bell's default WiFi. I think it got restored when I did the Generic update from Bell's firmware while having that WiFi and didn't did a factory default first, so it copied it as if it was the factory default (strange it is how they did it?).

So I am not sure how to fix this one, especially if I want to sell it later.

I haven't tested speed yet.

Only one thing good about Generic firmware is that it won't default to Bell's inet APN, just in case that's not the one you want (wink wink).

Comment

With this opportunity that I am testing between 5.26 and 5.28, both Bell (not what cmslist called hybrid, b/c I used the full flash including the ML so it is back to Bell), I have only done tests to 2 sites on speedtest.net. The result is that 5.28 is faster than 5.26 on both sites on both upload and download and ping time.

Top record is Skyway site, 6+ Mbps down, 3+ Mbps up. And traditionally (but many months I haven't tested), my home wasn't a very fast site, at least not on the MiFi 2372.

So did the change to Generic and back made any difference? I forgot to test, but it's not that big deal to me since I wanted to go back anyway.

BTW, my original flashing to Generic wasn't an accident. On one site, it was suggested that it could unlock the AT&T version so I wanted to give it a try even though mine is Bell. Turned out that it didn't work at all. I didn't get a network lock pop up, but I also couldn't get any connection. Internet diagnostic also showed very few results, meaning no comm to the modem, so it is somewhat locked out.

So that was it. Originally I wanted to pay dc-unlocker to unlock it, but after reading about people's AT&T version having difficulty on other networks despite being unlocked, I don't want to waste the money, especially it was mainly for the reason to have a better resell value but I don't want to take the blame if the buyer couldn't use it on his network.

So basically I am back to square one: locked and Bell's firmware, except it is updated to 5.28.

Comment

Thanks
            ThanksThanks

Comment

Yeah the advantage of the Bell firmware is it won't falsely think I'm roaming, but the disadvantage is the default APN.

I was not able to find a file with this name. If anyone is able to obtain it please PM me.

Comment

Working...
              X